Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Polish Restaurant in Taiwan - Oak pod Debem

Oak - Pod Debem - is newly opened Polish restaurant in Taiwan and it is currently the only restaurant on the island to provide Polish food. I was very excited to hear that I can finally eat food I remember from childhood. Nothing, absolutely nothing stopped me for giving it a try - not even 40 minutes drive by car from Taipei. I was very eager to try it and I must say it - my expectations were quite high. Most of expats do miss 'mama' food, so you know I am writing about.


I went to Oak during the lunch hour and - let pictures not confuse you - the place was packed. I got a table by the window, in the corner - so it was actually easy for me to explore the entire restaurant. Visually - it is quite nice and relaxing. Tables are separated from each other so you do not feel like stepping on other tables, and while waiting - you can check some Polish sovereigns or travel books about Poland.


The menu offer some traditional Polish food. Even though menu does not have many choices - they do offer many specials - just ask for them. I wanted to try as much as possible, so I have ordered quite a lot - potato pancakes (placki) in mushroom sauce, delicious Flaki (beef tripe soup), a portion of Hunter Stew (Bigos)
and Apple cake. I did not know that every portion of the main dish comes in form of a meal, so you can imagine how much food that was. The meal consist of drink, soup, potatoes or french fries and a desert. Nonetheless - somehow I managed to eat all - it was very delicious.


The staff is great and friendly atmosphere makes you feel relaxed after whole day of studying / whole week of working. I met some other foreigners there and we join tables together with owners of the restaurant. I can really say that this can be a place where you can have a lunch, tea time or dinner, hang out there and meet new people. The great additional of live music during some evenings and able to order some Polish shots or beer - gives Oak even more thumbs up.


What shocked me the most are really low prices on the menu. It must be due to the proximity to some major universities, but still. I was expecting to spend a lot, but I am glad I was wrong. You can get a healthy portion of food here, very delicious with materials imported from Europe for price lower than MC Donald's set.

A meal that cost from NT65, Beef tripe soup that goes for only NT40 and my favorite of all times - Placki with meat or mushroom sauces for NT115 (I might be wrong here +/- NT10, was too happy ordering food) - you simply can't go wrong with at least giving it a try. I learned that some locals go there almost every night, and why shouldn't they? It's good and extremely good priced. I got food to go.


The only issue I have is the location, or I would go there pretty much every couple days. Perhaps owners one day decide to open branch in a large city?

The address is here: 桃園縣中壢市中央路216巷8號
Phone: 886 3 4202599
Open: Tue-Sun from noon to 10 pm, kitchen close at 8 pm.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oak-%E8%80%81%E6%A9%A1%E6%A8%B9-Pod-Debem-First-Polish-Restaurant-in-Taiwan/126997094083776

(some picture borrowed from their FB page, you can check the album for the rest)

15 comments:

  1. Looks interesting. I didn't know you were polish. So now I know another Slavic brother here ;) There's a famous Russian restaurant in central Zhongzheng, it's not exactly like the food from my home country, but some flavors are similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi MKL

      Russian restaurant in Taipei?

      what really, what is the name of the place? do they have a web site or fb page? can u tell us the address or phone number there?

      homer

      Delete
    2. I am also very curious what restaurant you write about. I would love to give it a try and put up a review here.

      By the way, you have an awesome blog!

      Delete
    3. There is Russian restaurant in GongGuang as well

      Delete
  2. awesome review man :-) keep up the good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys, I just managed to finish my post about the Russian restaurant, it's called Astoria.

    You can read about it here. But I believe the prices are much higher as in Pod Debem, but you get a whole menu with everything. It's all in my post, welcome to give some feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Astoria - looks good, I will have to give it a try soon :). Pictures definitively makes me feel a bit hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mac: Thanks for adding me on your blog list. I've added you to my Taiwan Blog's list:

    http://mytaiwanblogs.blogspot.com

    I've also featured you for November. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks MKL. Just glad to share good sites in the "Link" page. Your site is very good and valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this information. My Polish friends just told me that their friend told them about this restaurant, but they don't know exactly where it is.. And voila! I found your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nee,
    Make sure to check their facebook page often - the sometimes have great discounts or special food planned on weekends :).

    I might go there this weekend again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hej

    Spotkalismy sie Pod Debem - moglbys podac jakies namiary do siebie, mam pytanie niekoneicznie zwiazana z wpisem na blogu.

    Michal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever wanted to get free Facebook Followers?
    Did you know you can get these ON AUTOPILOT & TOTALLY FOR FREE by using Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you would like an alternative to randomly flirting with girls and trying to figure out the right thing to say...

    If you would rather have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy pubs and night clubs...

    Then I encourage you to view this eye-opening video to uncover a amazing secret that might get you your very own harem of sexy women just 24 hours from now:

    Facebook Seduction System!!!

    ReplyDelete